Can My Dog Eat Grapes?

Dogs like many different types of food. Dog owners like to mix up their diets and give nutritious meals.

Foods safe for human consumption may be dangerous to our dogs. When it comes to grapes, what should dog owners know?

Here are 9 facts and tips you need to know about dogs and grapes.

Grapes may be toxic in high doses

Just like chocolate, grapes are unfortunately toxic to dogs. Doctors are not sure if it is the grape, pesticides, or fungus. Despite the source, grapes should not be eaten by dogs.

According to the size of the dog, they are able to withstand a small dosage of grapes. Why risk it? There are only great alternatives to grapes.

What is a tolerable dosage of grapes?

When it comes to what the studies show, it depends on the size of the dog. A small ten-pound dog will be poisoned with only 0.7 ounces of grapes. 0.7 ounces is only one or two grapes.

Big dogs like 20 pounds or more can eat 1.4 ounces or more grapes before experiencing any problems. 1.4 ounces is similar to 3 or 4 grapes.

Raisins however are more concentrated, so the dosage gets smaller.

Hence, with all the facts, it is recommended to keep grapes and raisins out of your dog’s diet altogether.

The dosage amounts are not consistent. Smaller dogs have survived higher doses. Bigger dogs have died from smaller doses. It could be due to the health of the dog’s kidneys and immune system. Since it is hard to know the correct variables, let’s not risk it.

Types of grapes and raisins found toxic

The short answer is all. Poisoning has occurred in ingesting seedless and seeded grapes, commercial and homegrown fruits. Red, green, organic, and non-organic, all grapes have all been found to be toxic.

Are raisins the same as grapes?

Raisins are just as toxic as grapes if not more. Some suggest raisins are more concentrated than grapes. Raisins, therefore, should also not be consumed by dogs. All the tips should be considered for both.

Symptoms of grape eating dogs

How can you tell if your dog ate a few of your grapes? It is hard to tell. The following symptoms may show up and inform you there might be a problem. Some of the easiest to tell are vomiting and/or diarrhea. It’s the dog’s way of getting rid of the toxic food within the body.

There also could be dehydration, loss of appetite, and fluid cessation. Fluid cessation is where the dog will not drink water or urinate.

Other symptoms like hyperactivity, loss of breath, and abdominal pain will be harder to see as issues. The biggest symptom is sudden, acute kidney failure.

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs to eat

Dogs, like humans, need a balanced diet. Apples, Bananas, and Watermelon are some great choices for fruits. They are very common and readily available.

For greens, they can have Asparagus, broccoli, green beans, peas, and spinach. Some other noteworthy options are blueberries, carrots, raspberries, and pumpkin. Also, apricots are acceptable but you must remove the stone first.

How are dogs treated for grape or raisin toxicity?

After eating grapes or raisins, a dog must be taken to a vet immediately. Within two hours, the veterinarians will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal. For the next 48 hours, intravenous fluids may be given to the dog.

The vets should be checking the blood chemistry for 72 hours. Urinalysis, ultrasound, and kidney medications may also be used to examine for mineral deposits and kidney size.

Even if your dog isn’t showing any of the mentioned symptoms, you should still see a vet. Kidney damage may be delayed. The sooner it is found, the better it will be for the dog. Dogs are not always able to communicate discomfort or explain why. Vets have the necessary machinery to check for problems.

How can owners induce vomiting?

As a first aid option, vomiting can be induced before the toxins can be absorbed in the dog’s body. Do not induce vomiting unless you are positive your dog has ingested toxic foods.

Do not induce vomiting if your dog has already vomited. You should not try to force more vomiting. If your dog is having trouble breathing, do not proceed.

Do not continue if your dog is showing signs of serious distress or shock.

To induce vomiting, you just need a simple hydrogen peroxide solution. It consists of one teaspoon per five pounds of your dog’s body weight. No more than three teaspoons can be given at one time, however. If no vomiting within ten minutes, you may administer another dose.

The method should not be done more than three times at ten-minute intervals. Afterward, do not continue or try a stronger method unless approved by your veterinarian. Whether your dog vomits or not, please immediately rush it to your veterinary facility.

Not worth it to risk it

From all the symptoms and work to reverse the effects of grapes, I hope you see prevention is key. Keep grapes and raisins out of reach of your dog. Move all toxic foods high up and out of reach from your pets.

Foods like cereals, granola mix, and baked goods with toxic foods inside should all be stored away safely.

Aditionally, if your children are messy eaters, consider how you feed their foods so there is no sharing.

Knowledge is power. Make sure all family members know about the seriousness of the situation. Other foods found to be toxic to pets are chocolate, onions, garlic, caffeine, chives, milk, macadamia nuts, and more. If everyone knows, then everyone can help to prevent and alert if it is ingested.

With all the tips above, your dog can live a happy and healthy life. The health of all family members is important.

Let’s do our best to encourage good habits. An apple a day may keep the doctor away for all, even your dog. If you have any other concerns, be sure to make them known to your veterinarian.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.