My Dog Ate a Battery

It is common for some dog breeds such as the Labradors to chew on almost anything. It is not surprising to find your dog pulling, tearing, and eating rugs, toys, and batteries. More so, it is natural for dogs to chew first and then think later. In most cases, dogs chew on unusual things like dry cell batteries out of curiosity.

This happens because, in the majority of households, dogs are exposed to battery-controlled gadgets.  Furthermore, today’s technology incorporates batteries in remote controls, toys, watches, alarms, and hearing aids, which your dog can locate easily in your home.

What to Expect if Your Dog Ate a Battery

Not all batteries will cause the same problem for your dog.  However, batteries contain acidic substances that are toxic to dogs. The most common batteries that your dog can chew are alkaline dry cells such as D, C, AA, and AAA.  Your dog can also ingest button or disc batteries.

Some common symptoms to look out for when your dog chews a battery include nausea, vomiting or retching, breathing, and swallowing difficulties. Depending on the amount of battery ingested, some puppies may develop sores, redness, and blisters in the mouth.

Alkaline and Disc Battery Effects on Your Dog

An alkaline battery can cause irritation or blockage in your dog’s digestive tract. When your dog chews an alkaline battery, he may experience corrosive injury to the muscular tube that connects the throat with the stomach. Even so, your pet’s tongue base and pharyngeal walls can also be injured by the alkaline contained in the battery. In fact, the potassium hydroxides in the battery can cause liquefaction necrosis that leads to severe ulcers.

Disc-shaped batteries can permit electric current to pass to your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. This causes current-induced cell injury, which can cause the death of cells in the small intestines. These batteries are more dangerous as compared to the alkaline counterpart. One 3-volt can lead to severe necrosis to the gastrointestinal tract between 15-30minutes. 

Can Your Dog Die From Eating a Battery?

Your dog can survive battery ingestion if you take timely action. Most dog owners consult a vet doctor within 24 hours and get their canine friends treated. However, the earlier you treat the symptoms, the easier it is for your pet to recover. 

How to Deal with a Dog That Ate a Battery

The majority of dog owners are bound to worry when a dog chews or swallows a battery.  First and foremost, remove any visible battery from your dog’s reach and call a vet.  It helps reduce the effects if you offer your pet a small amount of milk or water. This needs to be done in moderation to avoid inducing vomiting, which can further damage your puppy’s esophagus.

Sometimes blisters may occur within one or two hours after your dog ingests a battery.  However, after 24 hours, you can get a complete review of the health of your pet.  Even though most of the effects are treatable, it is easier to treat your dog as soon as you notice any symptoms.

When to Worry 

It is worrisome if your dog develops a fever or high temperature and abdominal pain after ingesting a battery. This may be an indication of a deeper issue. You need to consult an expert urgently to check for other complications such as a ruptured stomach.

In severe cases, your dog may experience difficulty breathing and vomiting. You need to contact a vet immediately for treatment and further advice on how to take care of your dog. 

How to Prevent Your Dog from Chewing a Battery

It helps to keep battery-controlled household appliances out of your dog’s reach.  Battery packages and toys need to be secured in cupboards or lockers.

If your canine friend loves to play with toys, ensure that you supervise your pet and remove all exposed batteries out of sight. Most importantly, dispose of used batteries safely out of reach for your dog.

Conclusion

Dogs are curious animals and tend to pick up almost anything with their teeth and chew on it. Your puppy may chew on a battery when exposed to it or while playing with toys or fetching your remote control. 

As a result of the chewing, your dog can develop health issues such as fever, difficult breathing, and a ruptured stomach. This happens because batteries are toxic to dogs.  For this reason, you need to consult a vet when your dog eats a battery. But most importantly, always keep battery-powered appliances out of reach for your dog.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.