My Dog Ate a Bee

Dogs live a funny life since they’re always roaming and busy chasing things all day when not under restriction.  With freedom, dogs get exposure to different kinds of dangers while outdoors, so you must make the environment safe for them.  Usually, dogs love chasing flying insects like bees whenever they’re free. So, If your dog ate a bee in the process, you’ll panic and wonder what to do for him. Read along to understand what happens to your dog if he eats bees and what you can do to make him safe. 

What Happens to Your Dog When He Eats a Bee?

It’s obvious you love your dog and don’t want anything to harm him. However, some conditions are out of your control, like him eating a bee. If your puppy ate a bee, you would have to worry since they are venomous.  First, you should understand that the toxin in the venom can only harm your dog when a bee stings him. So, if your puppy ate a bee, he digested the insect-like food he eats. Because of this, the poison inside the bee will not harm your puppy. 

However, the issue will arise if the bee was alive, meaning it will be struggling to free itself from the dog’s mouth. In the process, the bee will be stinging his mouth to find space to escape. The longer the bee stays alive inside your pup’s mouth, the more stings he will get. Suppose your canine ate several bees; the stings will be severe. 

 Is It Risky When Your Puppy Eats a Bee?

If your pup doesn’t have an allergic reaction from a bee, then there’s no harm if he eats one or two. The only worry you should have when your dog ate a bee is if he got stings in the process of digesting it. Should that be the case, plan an appointment with your vet to get quick help. But if the sting wasn’t serious, you can let the wound heal on its own.

Caring for Your Puppy with Minor Stings After Eating a Bee

When your dog has got stings after they ate a bee, you’ll notice swellings around the mouth, and he’ll be in pain. To help him out, cuddle with your dog to comfort him and to reduce the pain. Cuddling is also a sign of affection and care for your dog. It’s a reassurance that you’ve got his back whenever in trouble. 

After comforting your dog, you can look for the stingers and remove them if he ate honeybees. Ensure you do that gently and never pull them out since that will make the pain worsen. Pulling also forces more poison into the affected area. The best way to remove them is by scraping them off using something like a plastic card. But you have to ensure you don’t apply too much pressure. 

Afterward, you can apply some cold compress to the part which had the stingers. Doing this will reduce the pain and help the wound heal faster.

Caring for Your Dog with Severe Bee Stings

If your dog is allergic to bee stings, you’ll have to seek medical attention very fast. It would help if you did this since such a pup may suffer from an anaphylactic reaction that can make him have difficulty breathing. With no immediate medical attention, your puppy might die, so be fast in taking action. As you know, it can be challenging to identify the cause of your dog’s suffering, but you can look if he has to swell around the nose or mouth. He can also have problems breathing or be in distress and sleepy all through. If you notice these signs, don’t waste time before calling your vet.

Keeping Your Dog Safe from Bee Sting?

Although it’s tricky controlling your puppy’s movement as he chases flying objects, you can keep him safe from dangerous insects like a bee. First, avoid going with your pups where bees gather. You can also make good use of his leash so that whenever there’s danger ahead, you’ll pull them to safety.

Conclusion

Even though not all dogs who eat bees are at health risk, you have to ensure he’s safe.  It would help if you did this, as the bee can sting him while trying to get free. Check if yours has stings beneath his tongue and see a veterinary doctor.  Remember to take good care of your pup to make him feel comfortable after getting stings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.