My Dog Ate a Dead Mouse! When to Worry

Some dogs have what is known as a dietary indiscretion. It means they have those reckless eating habits that apply to food and non-food substances. If your pup lies in this category, it should not be a shocker that it has ingested a dead mouse. The good news, though, is that dogs, unlike humans, have robust digestive systems. They can easily digest slow and raw meat without issues. 

However, if your dog has underlying issues, it means they are easily susceptible to toxic substances. For example, it can get seriously ill from ingestion of a dead animal, whose cause of death is uncertain. Perhaps it is the poison or rotting with toxic bacteria. The most important step you can take is to call your vet immediately. Some of the crucial info the vet might need is how the mice might have died and the quantity that your dog ate.

The Next Course of Action, the Vet, Might Ask You to Take

In most cases, the vet might instruct you to be on the lookout for various signs. These include stomach upset, vomiting, lethargy, or unusual loss of appetite. In this case, you should visit the clinic. Meanwhile, if your dog suddenly begins to appear malnourished, it could be due to roundworm infestation. It is a common bug that your dog may have picked on ingestion of the dead mouse, usually infected with roundworm larvae.

Why the Roundworm Is a Number One Enemy to Your Dog

Once the worm finds its way into your dog, it begins to feast on all the nutrients in its tummy, leaving them weak and malnourished. It does not matter that you are feeding them on the healthiest diet. They will still appear miserable. Other signs to check around any roundworm infestation is abdominal swelling, loss of appetite, coughing. Vet experts warn that your dog can also pick up coccidiosis whenever they feed on a dead mouse. A severe case of the illness has your dog coming up with diarrhea, which could have blood and mucus traces. At this point, you should check them for vomiting dehydration, among other symptoms. Generally, have your vet on the quick dial if any of these issues arise.

Obedience Training Is Key to Preventing Your Dog from Ever Eating Dead Animals

Did you know that dogs are hardwired to obey you as their pack leader? Such a command as leave-it should immediately work when you want your dog never to eat dead animals. Also, depending on how well you have trained them, a quick snap of the collar indicates that eating a dead mouse is unacceptable. Of course, they would run for their dear life next time they see one because they already know the harsh consequences.

An easy and straightforward leave-it command would include a treat left on the floor. Your dog will instinctively sniff it and want to gobble it up. You should immediately place your foot on the treat and verbalize the words, leave it. Do this regularly so that your dog begins to associate the command with substances and foods you would not want them to eat.

Essential Issues to Address Once Your Dog Eats a Dead Mouse

Most people would never take their dog eating a dead mouse seriously, assuming it would be okay. At worst, the dog may vomit, perhaps because the stomach can’t handle it. However, it’s also crucial to know how the mouse died. For example, could it be a result of rabies? In this case, you should not worry if your vaccination timetable is up to date. Again, chances of toxicity are lower if the mouse died due to a mousetrap.

But what if your dog consumes a mouse that is lying around dead without a sure cause? The probabilities of poison are high, and that is where the concern for your dog should also arise. It becomes an emergency needing you to contact a vet quickly. The poison could have jumped right from the dead mouse onto your animal and can cause serious harm. The vet can instruct you on the necessary steps to take if they suspect your dog might have ingested a poisonous agent through the dead mouse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.