My Dog Ate a Eucalyptus Leaf

Did you know that some highly human beneficial plants can be harmful to your dog? Believe it or not, the highly valued eucalyptus can cause severe toxic harm to your pup when ingested, whether in a minute or copious quantity. While he might innocently see everything as a portion of potential food, this plant is a dietary no-no for them. Of course, it has some of the most potent medical content, but that is just for you and not the animal, as its effect can turn out quite unpleasant.

Why You Should Keep Your Dog Off Limits the Eucalyptus

The eucalyptus leaf contains some of the most overpowering essential oils, which can affect your canine. But this also depends on the age and size of the dog. The younger and smaller it means that it can have immediate gastrointestinal problems requiring you to see a vet urgently. The assumption is that your dog ate just a single leaf or two, and that should not send you into panic mode. But copious amounts might be another story altogether.

You may need to be observant for obvious clinical signs such as abdominal pains, diarrhea, vomiting, and sometimes excessive drool. Dehydration might occur due to these other symptoms, making them weary and exhausted, and unable to eat. These symptoms should begin to manifest within the first 1- 8 hours. The most alarming effect of eucalyptus ingestion is that your animal can begin to suffer from a slowed heart rate due to low blood pressure. It is not uncommon for them to have neurological damage if there are delays in getting to the vet for treatment.

What Is the Leading Cause of Dog Poisoning in Eucalyptus?

The plants consist of a potent essential oil known as eucalyptol. Although immensely useful in treating various disorders in humans, it can be quite toxic to dogs and other animals. Your dog’s skin and the gastrointestinal system cannot tolerate this chemical. It is the reason they might have multiple issues inside out, including skin reactions and abdominal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Why Consulting a Vet Would Be Your Best Bet

As already stated, symptoms of typical eucalyptus ingestion begin to show almost in the first to eight hours later. You should never wait for things to get severe, especially if your dog is younger, smaller, or has other underlying issues such as kidney or heart disease. It’s because the symptoms can overwhelm the animal, with deadly consequences.

Most importantly, the vet will want to know the type of diet and any medical issues your dog might be having even before the leaf ingestion. It helps them to decide the amount of toxicity in your dog at that point. Naturally, the aroma will also come out quite distinctly and help the specialist determine how strong the poison is.

Standard Treatment Options for Eucalyptus Poisoning in Dogs

While you might be tempted to induce vomiting, it is clinically not recommended. It is because you do not know the level of toxicity, and this can aggravate the damage. Usually, if the leaf rubs on the skin and eyes, thorough rinsing can remove any remnants. On the other hand, the vet can begin your dog on gastric lavage. The next course of action would be to put your dog on activated charcoal, which quickly soaks up the chemical.

In most situations, the vet places your dog under general anesthesia during gastric lavage. Later other supportive treatment options such as rehydration IV fluids may commence. The doctor may also recommend certain stimulants and laxatives to eliminate any remaining toxins in your pup’s system. Finally, they may also prescribe some antihistamines and painkillers to reduce any swelling and skin reactions your dog might have caught.

Generally, you would think eucalyptus is not all that toxic because of its benefits to humans. The truth is that even oil exposure can be dangerous to your dog. If he inhales it and goes right into the lungs, the immediate result is usually breathing difficulties. He may begin to breathe so heavily or even sneeze and can begin to feel lethargic. You wouldn’t want such trauma to your canine, so the best thing is to avoid anything eucalyptus near your dog. In the face of accidental ingestion, seek a piece of vet advice to avoid any harm whatsoever. 

1 thought on “My Dog Ate a Eucalyptus Leaf

  1. Kristina Greenwell

    I am so happy to say that my dog is FINALLY fully trained! I found out about this online dog training tool at TrainDogsOnline.org – it has been such a wonderful help in learning how to train my dog without ever leaving home. I learned so many great ways to teach my dog nearly every trick imaginable. Also, I can finally correct common behavioral issues, anywhere from potty-training to barking too much. It’s an actual man who’s a real dog trainer training his dog. He’s an expert so you can see his mannerisms and changes in his tone of voice… especially his body language. My dog behaves PERFECTLY now and picked up on these methods so fast. From what I understand, this will work on all dogs regardless of breed or age. Best of luck to you and your dog! Check out TrainDogsOnline.org – highly recommended!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.