My Dog Ate a Jelly Bean

One of the popular things present in many homes is jelly beans. Despite their popularity, these colorful candies are not safe or healthy. It is among the food staff whose additives remain questionable to date. Interestingly, many people still love them. If you have a dog that likes snaffling things from your household, this is one thing it is likely to steal and eat.

So, in case your dog manages to eat some jelly beans, should this be a concern? How much of this is dangerous, and is your dog likely to die from eating them? What can you do should your dog ingest some of these jelly beans? Get more information about jelly beans and dogs in this post.

Is Jelly Beans Toxic or Safe for Dogs?

Jelly beans are among the things you should not make accessible to your dog. They contain high levels of toxic ingredients that can be dangerous to your dog. A good example is sugar-free jelly beans. This type can be more dangerous than others. They are said to contain a sweetener known as xylitol. It is an artificial additive in jelly beans with high levels of toxins. If you have some in your house, vet experts recommend that you keep them out of your dog’s reach. 

However, this does not mean that other jelly beans are safe for dogs. All of them are toxic. It is only that the level of toxins in each brand differs. So, if you have been wondering whether they are toxic or not, the answer is yes. They are poisonous, and they can harm your dog.

Signs That Your Dog Has Consumed Jelly Beans

If your dog has swallowed some amount of jelly beans, he will exhibit several symptoms. They may include seizures, vomiting, confusion, lethargy, and liver failure. Note that some of these signs are also common in other toxic items that your dog may happen to eat. So, if you are not sure that its jelly beans are causing your dog to experience these signs, see a vet. Through proper examination and diagnosis, he will be able to determine the cause and administer the right treatment.

Can Your Dog Die from Ingesting Jelly Beans?

Sugar is one common ingredient in jelly beans. Though it may not be toxic, it can still be unhealthy to your dog, just as it is to humans. Excess consumption of sugar leads to health problems such as tooth decay, obesity, and diabetes. Also, if your dog ingests too much sugar, it can experience stomach upset.

Another ingredient present in jelly beans and which can pose a great danger to your dog is xylitol. The chemical is highly toxic and is mostly present in sugar-free jelly beans, and can be lethal to your canine. Even if your dog ingests this in small quantities, it can still harm him.

It absorbs fast into the bloodstream, increasing insulin, which the body releases through the pancreas. So, if your dog happens to eat this, it can lead to low sugar levels in the blood. In extreme situations, low blood pressure can cause coma or death.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Jelly Bean

If your dog has ingested a few jelly beans, you don’t need to worry. Just monitor his behavior to see if there are any changes or symptoms of discomfort. However, if you feel the urge to talk to your vet about this, do it. Let him examine the dog to make sure that the pet is okay.

You should also carry the jelly beans to help your vet determine the kind of toxins your dog has consumed. Note that there are many types of jelly beans containing different chemicals. So, the sooner the vet knows the kind of poison is in the system, the easier will it be for him to administer treatment.

Important Point to Note About Jelly Beans

There are a variety of jelly bean brands containing different levels of ingredients and additives. Whichever type of jelly bean you have in your home, they are still dangerous to your dog. Almost all jelly beans contain ingredients that can be dangerous to your dog. However, note that for any ingredient to cause harm to your dog, it will depend on three things; age, size, and the health of your dog.

Conclusion

Jelly beans are generally toxic. So, if your dog happens to ingest some of these, you should contact your vet. Early diagnosis and treatment will give your dog a good chance of recovering from the poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.