Pests can be a real menace in a household. The first impulse is to find an elimination method, if not having them under your control. You will most likely opt for the best and most efficient brand specific to the pest. Since you have pets at home, they are likely to come into contact with the pesticide.
A case scenario is a situation you have at hand. Your dog, because of the attractive scent in the roach trap, eats it. Like a concerned dog owner, you may have worries about whether it is toxic to your dog. It is of utmost importance to know what to watch out for and what to do. Let’s look deep into it.
Roach Trap Toxicity to Dogs
Roach traps are not toxic to dogs. They contain some food items like peanut and bread crumbs together with some sugar. These items help to attract the pests to their deathbed. This trap will also attract your dog for the same reason. The amount of insecticide in it is mostly negligible; hence it does not affect your canine.
The primary concern comes if your dog consumes the trap with its casing, which can be plastic or metallic. Here, it exposes your dog to the dangers of obstruction.
Effects of Roach Trap
If your dog eats the pesticide, the only effect he is likely to have is stomach upset. However, most dogs survive the experience with no adverse effects. As already mentioned, this happens because the poison in it is only toxic to the roaches and not dogs considering its amount.
On the other hand, the trap’s casing might cause intestinal problems to your pet. It may obstruct the stomach lining, a critical condition. If this is the case, a visit to the vet is crucial. To be sure of your dog’s state, you may see signs like vomiting and abdominal pain.
To prevent harm to the dog’s intestinal lining, you can feed him with a cup of brown rice. It will form a coat on the casing, thus preventing it from causing further damage.
The temptation to induce vomiting in your dog can be pressing. It would help if you tried not to do this, since it may cause unpleasant effects. However, you can have hydrogen peroxide at hand in case your vet recommends its usage. Instead, if your dog displays any sign of pain or discomfort after the event, your vet will be the best help.
To determine whether the dog ingested the casing, the vet might perform an x-ray. The treatment given is basically for poisoning. The attending vet will provide intravenous solutions. Activated charcoal is also vital, as it helps to absorb the toxins. The vet will further give some food and vitamins to help the burdened kidney.
Safe Ways to Get Rid of Pests
The best measure to take is to keep the pesticide containers far from the dog. It should be in a place where the dog will not use its paws to reach.
Apart from using poison to get rid of the roaches, other interventions may prove helpful. These methods will relieve you of the infestation and ensure your pet’s safety. You can use three parts of boric acid mixed with one portion of sugar. The sugar helps to lure the pest as the boric kills it. This combination is safe for your entire household. The only precaution required is on storing the boric acid. It irritates, hence the need to keep it away from counters and far from children.
Peppermint is also a natural roach repellant. However, if you spray the oil directly on the roach, it will kill it. You can use this option to prevent reinfestation.
It would be best if you also worked on your general hygiene. Dirt mostly attracts pests. Extra efforts towards cleanliness will save you the trouble. The cracks on your wall and leaking water might create a leeway for pests to infest you. Sealing up the cracks and repairing the leaks is an excellent preventive measure.
Your dog will eat the roach trap because of the pleasant scent of peanut and bread crumbs in it. The amount of insecticide herein is not enough to poison your dog. For this reason, you don’t have to worry. If there’s anything, it will only be a stomach upset which will pass. Most dogs survive, displaying no symptoms.
In case your dog eats the trap’s casing, you may have cause to worry. A visit to the vet might then be paramount. He might use activated charcoal to absorb the poison and other treatment interventions. High hygienic standards are vital in helping you prevent the infestation. You can also use non-toxic measures to control and get rid of the pests.