My Dog Ate a Used Cigarette

When you signed to bring that dog to your house, you signed up for more than that. There are times when the dog brings you joy, and there are times when they give you anything but that. They will take anything that will come before them. Whether they are edible or not. Whether the object is toxic or not, your dog does not just care. Now that is the best recipe for trouble or missing some cash in your pocket. That is because you will have to make many trips to the animal hospital.

One of the things your dog will eat is a cigarette. Especially if you are a smoker, your dog will eat dozens of cigarettes every month. So that calls for cautiousness from your side. However, even after being careful, some people are not. When you take your dog out with you for a walk in the park, he’ll still come across used cigarettes.

Cigarettes may be acceptable for human consumption, but how about a dog? Now that is one of the reasons for your worry, among others. The good news is that in this article, you will get to know if your dog is safe or not. You will also get to see if you can do something about it. Let’s get this conversation going.

Is Cigarette Safe for Your Dog?

One of the significant components of the cigarette is nicotine. Even we humans can only consume a measure of nicotine. When consumed in large doses, it can send you to the emergency room. Let’s dive in a little deeper.

The average cigarette contains a measurement of between nine and thirty milligrams of nicotine. If a non-smoker happens to take nicotine ranging between four and eight milligrams, that is enough to make them sick. However, if your little one consumes forty to sixty milligrams, that’s enough even to put them in a comma. That is how cigarettes are fatal for humans. So what about your little canine friend? Well, read on.

For dogs, you only need to give them about 9.2 milligrams to make them sick. If your dog ate a better part of the cigarette and its filter, that’s even worse. That is because the filter remains with approximately 25% of nicotine upon smoking.

Why Your Dog Ate a Used Cigarette

Believe it or not, there is a reason for everything. And that includes a reason for your dog eating a cigarette. Your dog probably knows that he has no business eating cigarettes. So why did your dog eat the cigarette?

According to experts on animal behavior, your dog will eat cigarettes when in need of attention. How much time do you spend with your dog? That matters since dogs also have feelings. When you are always out and never play with them, they will do anything to grasp your attention. So be sure to spend more time with your dog to avoid more of this.

Nicotine Poisoning

Nicotine poisoning in dogs is very prevalent in dogs these days, thanks to nicotine products’ emergence. So if you are a dog owner, it’s high time you take the necessary precautions. When your dog consumes nicotine in high doses, he may develop some neurological conditions.

Symptoms That Should Concern You

If your dog has consumed too much nicotine in the used cigarette, he will begin manifesting some symptoms. The symptoms include convulsions, weak pulse, pupils dilating, paralysis, high or low blood pressure, and abnormal breathing.

If you see the symptoms highlighted above in your dog, you should not hesitate. Rush your dog to the animal hospital as soon as possible.

Contact Your Vet

As soon as you realize that your dog has taken a cigarette, contact your vet immediately. As you have already learned, a cigarette is strong enough to kill your dog. The breed and size of your dog do not matter. So you should not wait and monitor your dog for symptoms to call the vet.

Once you contact the vet, be as accurate as possible with the information you provide. That is because, based on the information you give, your vet can act promptly or delay. Also, remember not to exaggerate. If you feel your vet should see your dog, make it clear to them.

Wrapping It Up

One of the fastest killers that your dog should not come across is a cigarette. With its paralyzing effect on insects, it can cause death-causing neurological damages to your canine. Your dog may eat it intentionally to get your attention. Whatever the reason, if your dog eats one, you should contact your vet immediately or take them to the clinic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.