My Dog Ate a Worm

Pets, especially dogs, can eat a lot of nasty things. It happens more to puppies. Their curiosity to learn and understand the world around them leads them to ingest many non-foodstuffs. Among the things your dog is likely to ingest if you don’t pay close attention are worms. So, if you are fond of letting your dog play in your back yard or garden without supervision, it will feast on worms.

However, why should you be concerned if your dog eats worms? What happens if your dog ingests worms? Can worms pose a health risk to a dog? What are some of the effects, and is there a treatment for worms? In case you seek answers to such questions and much more, this is the article to read. It has got detailed and valuable information you need to know about worms and dogs.

Can a Dog Eat Worms? 

When you leave your dog out alone without supervision, it will sneak in to feed on worms and other nasty things. Dogs can feed on worms intentionally or accidentally. When it comes to puppies, most of the time, they swallow things accidentally. As they move about exploring their world around them, they come into contact with many things. During their exploration journey, they may unintentionally ingest worms. So, if you’ve been asking if a dog can eat a worm or not, yes, dogs can eat worms.

How Do Worms Affect Dogs?

Worms may seem harmless, but if your dog ingests, they can damage his health, especially if you don’t follow up with treatment. Worm infestation among dogs can lead to weight loss, weakness, energy loss, frequent sickness, and diarrhea. When diarrhea becomes severe, it can make the bottom of the dog painful.

Worms can also cause eating variation in your dog. They may cause your dog to develop the urge to eat in excess but will not gain any weight. They can also damage your dog’s coat, making it appear rough and ugly patches.

Can a Dog Die When It Ingests a Worm?

With time, worms can seriously damage your dog’s internal organs if not treated in good time. When the organs get damaged, the situation can lead to unconsciousness, and your dog may eventually die. So, if the question you have been asking yourself is if your dog can die from eating worms, the answer is yes.

So, if you are suspicious that your dog has eaten worms, you should take him to a vet for a check-up. There are treatments for intestinal worms, and most of them are easy to treat. Your vet will diagnose your dog and then prescribe him medication.

Symptoms That Your Dog Has Eaten a Worm

Sometimes it is difficult to know if your dog has worms. However, there are specific changes you will notice. These signs are a hint that your dog has worms, and you should take it to a vet for treatment.

The symptoms may include vomiting, lethargy, abdominal pain, dehydration, diarrhea, weight loss, and enlargement of the belly.  You may also notice that the coat of the dog has a rough or poor appearance. Your dog’s stool may have traces of blood, and he may experience itching around the anus.

What Happens if You Don’t Treat the Worm?

Actually, nothing serious happens immediately after your dog eats a worm. But worms have a life cycle. When your dog ingests the worm, and you do nothing about it, you will be giving the worm room to multiply. You will notice that your dog has worm infestation after some time.

When there is an infestation, it can damage your dog’s internal organs, causing serious sickness. It may also lead to your dog’s untimely death. That is why you need to seek treatment immediately when you notice that your dog has swallowed a worm.

Conclusion 

It is clear that worms can pose a severe health risk to your dog if you don’t treat him. And since you might not know when he ingests a worm, it is good to be taking him for check-ups. There are treatments for intestinal worms. You can plan with your vet for a routine diagnosis and treatment. It will help you protect your dog from intestinal worm infestation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.