It is usually easy to restrict what your dog can have access to in your garage and inside the house. However, when it comes to your yard, hikes, and parks, that may be difficult to control. There are many things out there, ranging from plants and trees to mushrooms that may present a potential risk to your dog. One thing that your dog may find yummy is acorns. But how safe are they for your dog? To find more about acorns and dogs, keep reading the article.
How Poisonous Are Acorns to Your Dog?
Acorns are nuts from oak trees that tend to fall on the ground during winter and fall months. Note that both the leaves and acorns from these trees are toxic for your dog. They contain gallic and tannic acid, enough to cause a variety of health problems to your dog. They can lead to stomach upset, severe liver problems, kidney failure, and even death. Acorns are also sharp, meaning that they are capable of causing intestinal obstruction if ingested whole, especially by smaller dogs.
What Are the Common Signs That Your Dog Has Eaten Acorns?
It is not easy to notice that your dog has ingested acorns until he begins to show some health concerns. So, what will make you know that your dog has actually eaten acorn? Note that the symptoms that your dog will show depending on the number of acorns he has swallowed.
If your dog has ingested a few acorns, they will show signs like diarrhea, weariness, drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain. However, if they have frequently been ingesting plenty of acorns, he will show severe symptoms such as liver problems and kidney failure. So, whether your dog becomes critically ill will depend on his size and the amount of acorn they have ingested.
The Measures You Should Take if your Dog Eats an Acorn
If you have a feeling that your dog has eaten acorn, you should call your vet right away. Note that if your pet does not get treatment early enough, the situation can lead to permanent liver damage. So, it’s always good to find the nearest vet to attend to your dog as soon as possible.
As you wait for the vet, ensure that you remove any acorns around to prevent the dog from eating more of it. Also, avoid any home-remedy treatment as this may worsen your dog’s health situation.
Diagnosis and Treatment
When you take your dog to the vet, the diagnosis will involve reviewing symptoms as well as the circumstances that surround ingestion. The vet will also look for the presence of acorn in the dog’s feces and vomit.
The severity of the dog’s condition will determine the kind of treatment the vet will administer. However, the immediate concern is usually dealing with the symptoms the dog is exhibiting at the moment. The vet may administer medications that will help manage the symptoms. If it is internal obstruction, surgery may be necessary if the case happens to be severe.
Ways of Preventing Your Dog from Eating Acorns
You can prevent your dog from eating acorns by limiting their exposure to the oak nuts. Avoid taking your dog in the area with oak trees, especially during the winter and fall months. If this proves impossible, you will need to closely monitor your dog when walking in the area with acorns.
If there is an oak tree in your compound, ensure that no acorns are lying around. Also, don’t allow your dog to walk outside without supervision. Whether he’s going out for potty, ensure that you accompany them.
In case all of these solutions prove difficult, another solution will be to cut down the oak tree in your compound. While the tree may be equally important, you will instead do away with it than risking your dog’s health. You can always plant another type of tree in your yard that is safe for your pet.
A dog is like another kid in your home, and they present work from the word go. He needs you to pay attention to him, feed, and train him. Generally, it would be best if you took full responsibility for your dog so that they don’t do something silly that may endanger their life. If you have a dog, you should be aware of some of the hazards in your home. Things that can endanger your pet, such as acorns.