There are many items in your household that are likely to attract your dog, like Chapstick. And since pets, especially puppies, have this habit of chewing things, they can consume anything. Some of these things may be poisonous, while some may not. However, even the non-toxic ones can still pose other health risks to your canine.
This article looks into Chapstick and dogs. Why do dogs get attracted to Chapsticks, and are they poisonous? What health risks does a Chapstick pose to your dog? Will your dog show any health-related signs after ingesting a Chapstick? And what are you supposed to do? Keep reading to learn more about this topic.
Why Do Dogs Eat Chapstick?
Chapstick is one of the many items that can entice your canine because of its delicious smell. Some of them have a sweet fruity smell that dogs find hard to resist. Things with such a smell are likely to attract dogs. However, since dogs like chewing almost everything, it can also ingest plain Chapstick.
Are Chapsticks Toxic?
Chapsticks are of various types; medicated and non-medicated ones. If your dog ingests the non-medicated Chapstick without also chewing the tube or packaging, he will be just fine. The ingredients in the substance are usually not toxic.
However, the medicated brand usually contains ingredients that may be toxic to your dog. A good example is the sunscreen Chapstick, which contains zinc oxide and para-aminobenzoic acid. These two chemicals might be harmful to your puppy. Others contain a chemical known as xylitol, which is highly toxic. If your dog ingests a Chapstick containing this, you should treat it as an emergency.
Signs That Your Dog Has Eaten Chapstick
If your dog eats non-medicated Chapstick, it will not show any signs because most of them do not pose any health risks. But if he happens to eat the medicated one, you will notice some change in behavior because such brands contain some toxins in them.
So, if your puppy happens to eat a Chapstick with toxins, he will show signs such as vomiting, skin rash, diarrhea, itching, and breathing problems. Sometimes your dog can chew Chapstick together with the packaging tube. If this happens, you will notice some additional signs. The symptoms may include loss of appetite, swollen belly, abdominal pain, lethargy, and constipation.
What to Do if Your Dog Eats Chapstick?
A dog that has ingested any non-food item, including Chapstick, is vulnerable to various health risks. So, whether poisonous or not, it is always good to take precautions by visiting a vet. If your dog eats a Chapstick, you will definitely panic and may want to administer first aid.
However, according to vet experts, this is usually not recommendable because most home remedies are known to worsen the situation. This is more so if you are not sure about first aid. So, the only safest action to take in case your dog ingests Chapstick and any other non-food items is to see a vet right away.
Something Else You Need to Know About Chapsticks
As mentioned earlier in this post, if your dog happens to ingest non-toxic Chapstick, it may not affect him. However, note that there is a possibility that he may also swallow the tube or the packaging container. In this case, you have every reason to worry, and you should visit your nearest vet immediately.
Note that there are high chances of your dog becoming sick if he chews Chapstick tube or packaging. It may cause a gastrointestinal blockage. Vet experts point out that this is a dangerous condition that can harm your dog. So, if your dog ingests non-toxic Chapstick together with the container, you need to take him to a vet immediately.
There isn’t any non-food item that is safe for your dog to ingest. If it doesn’t have poison, it can cause other health risks not related to poisoning. So, you need to be familiar with the kind of substance your dog has ingested. It is always good to take precautions.
If your dog eats a Chapstick, ensure that you check the ingredients just to be sure that it has no traces of toxins. You can carry out quick research about the ingredients. But in case you are not satisfied with your findings, call your vet to help you verify them for you.