While coffee could be your favorite beverage, most dogs cannot tolerate it because their metabolism differs from humans. For example, most people would quickly get that energy high upon consumption. But dogs do not need caffeine stimulants, for they naturally have higher energy levels. It is the reason your canine would react more sensitively to any coffee grounds he might have eaten. You may not have to wait long for the adverse reactions, which can begin as early as 30 minutes after ingestion and last for over 12 hours. The situation can even be direr if the coffee grounds had sugar traces, which can aggravate the symptoms. Experts say a sugar ingredient in the coffee can cause severe pancreas inflammation in your dog, necessitating urgent hospitalization for your pup.
Why the Degree of Toxicity Depends on Several Other Factors?
Any adverse reactions to coffee by your canine depend on other related considerations. For one, the coffee grounds quantity can determine whether you immediately head to the vet or you wait around for a while. Then smaller dog sizes and any underlying conditions such as diabetes, kidney, or heart disease, may aggravate the situation. Even so, you must be careful at all times as any consumption of the coffee grounds can affect your dog’s vital organs, including the liver, heart, kidney, and central nervous system.
But How Much of the Coffee Grounds Is Too Much?
Usually, the number of coffee grounds your dog eats can determine life and death. Experts say you can begin to see immediate symptoms once your pup consumes a 9mg/pound of caffeine. On the other hand, expect severe symptoms after a typical 20mg/pound consumption of caffeine. Once you do the math, you can know if the amount your dog has eaten can cause grievous harm. Still, get in touch with your vet as soon as possible, providing all the info concerning the coffee ground ingestion.
Whereas ingestion in small amounts can cause equally mild symptoms, you should be on the lookout for severe metabolic, gastrointestinal, neurologic, and cardiovascular symptoms in the minutes and hour after consumption.
Speaking to Your Vet Might Expose the Level Of Toxicity
You do not want to wait until symptoms take the better of your dog before you can consult the vet. Generally, once you find out your dog has eaten the coffee grounds, having the vet on a fast dial would decide how quickly the canine gets help. The vet will mostly note down the exact timeframe within which your pup consumed the product and the precise amounts, if you know. They will also record the type of food and drinks your dog might have finished before and after the coffee grounds ingestion to determine the toxicity rate. Your vet will likely bank on the urinalysis and blood work tests to know the amount of caffeine present in your dog’s system. Those stomach fluids and acids can also help the vet in making a correct diagnosis.
Most Caffeine Poisoning Treatment Methods Are Usually Effective
You can always expect your dog to come through the coffee ground ingestion ordeal unscathed. But this depends on the number of coffee grounds ingested and how quick it took to have your dog diagnosed. Besides monitoring your dog for vital signs, the doctor chooses only the best treatment method that is appropriate for your dog. Standard treatment for caffeine poisoning includes gastrointestinal decontamination, which can be successful through a typical gastric lavage.
The vet can also induce vomiting to bring the toxic content out of your pup’s stomach. The doc can also use a simple administration of activated charcoal once your dog vomits, as it thoroughly cleanses the tummy. In the unfortunate circumstances, the poisoning touched on the central nervous system? The vet can provide various medications to stabilize your dog and bring them back to form.
It is always best to take quick action once you suspect your pup has ingested on coffee grounds. Even if it was a negligible amount, you never could tell how your dog can begin to react depending on their size and underlying conditions. Also, your dog’s recovery depends on swift vet diagnosis and timely treatment. Without this, you cannot immediately rule out the chances of the product’s adverse effects on the dog’s central nervous system. It can then start to cause seizures, collapse, and sadly death.