My Dog Ate Gunpowder

Dogs can eat gunpowder from two primary sources- firecrackers or guns. Once this happens, a dog can either start to vomit or diarrhea. It is because typical gun powder contains potassium nitrate, a leading cause of the resulting abdominal problems. Although the modern firearm’s powder is both smokeless and nitro-cellulose, it still includes some toxicity level that can harm your hound. But always, it depends on the amount of gunpowder your dog seems to have consumed.

Treatment and Care After Gunpowder Ingestion

Once ingestion takes place, you should never be slow in contacting a professional vet. They can advise you on first aid methods for your canine, or ask you to come to the clinic right away. One of the most common symptoms of gunpowder ingestion is vomiting. Thankfully, vomiting is usually a form of self-decontamination. Irrespective of the same, get further help, and care from your vet. Assuming that the amount of powder was significant, vomiting may not eliminate their stomach’s whole poison. The vet may have to flush out the remainder of the substance. Most of the time, gunpowder irritates the throat and the entire gastrointestinal path.

The Most Useful First Aid You Can Perform

Perhaps you cannot reach the vet? Then follow as they advise. For example, the vet might ask you to induce vomiting by giving your hound some hydrogen peroxide, or any other formulation that can do the part. For example, assuming the ingestion is more than a couple of hours, they might ask you to give them a full meal of sweet potatoes or pumpkin. As easily digestive foods, they can help push the poison out of your canine’s system.

Be on the lookout, though, as vomiting might mean just more than. Sometimes, it indicates more severe issues such as intestinal distress, or they could have swallowed a shell casing. This can result in blockage at the esophagus, or much more. At this point, only your vet makes the right diagnosis.

Can Your Dog Die Due to Gunpowder Ingestion? 

Like any poison, the amount of ingestion and how long the dog has been left unattended without treatment and care determine your dog’s health. If the dog has eaten large amounts and no support has been forthcoming, the condition could become fatal. Even if it is not lethal, some of the complications include low blood pressure. Again, massive ingestion can lead to a condition known as methemoglobinemia. It means blood oxidation and oxygen circulation is compromised.

Other severe complications can include muscle weakness, eventually leading to paralysis. There are reports where dogs ingesting large amounts of gunpowder have to be put down because they ran mad. On the other hand, negligible amounts equally contain just a little toxicity and may be less harmless. However, irrespective of the ingestion level, it always makes haste to provide the support and care your animal needs to prevent further complications.

Preventing Your Dog From Gunpowder Ingestion

Several preventive measures can ensure that your hound never consumes gunpowder, to begin with. For example, always keep your dog a safe distance from any fireworks. You can as well confine them to the safety of your house. The outdoors is another harbinger of suspect fireworks or ammunition. Pick and discard whenever you are out with your dog, and you come across such. Are the fireworks illegal in nature? The likelihood of vast amounts of gunpowder is usually high, so try to keep your dog away from such locations. Do not walk your dog in the vicinity of a recent firework activity as there could be leftovers.

Why You Should Ignore the Gunpowder for Dogs Myth

The myth that has been running the streets for years is that if yours is a guard dog, then gunpowder powder makes them tough, aggressive, and extra vigilant. Yet that is not true. Instead, it makes them sick. Numerous health-related risks go with a dog consuming gunpowder. Besides being an act of animal cruelty, the practice also faces heavy criticism from the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The best way is to safeguard your animal from the effects of gunpowder. In the unfortunate event of ingestion, get them to the vet as soon as you can, or carefully follow your vet’s advice and save your dog. 

1 thought on “My Dog Ate Gunpowder

  1. Kristina Greenwell

    I am so happy to say that my dog is FINALLY fully trained! I found out about this online dog training tool at TrainDogsOnline.org – it has been such a wonderful help in learning how to train my dog without ever leaving home. I learned so many great ways to teach my dog nearly every trick imaginable. Also, I can finally correct common behavioral issues, anywhere from potty-training to barking too much. It’s an actual man who’s a real dog trainer training his dog. He’s an expert so you can see his mannerisms and changes in his tone of voice… especially his body language. My dog behaves PERFECTLY now and picked up on these methods so fast. From what I understand, this will work on all dogs regardless of breed or age. Best of luck to you and your dog! Check out TrainDogsOnline.org – highly recommended!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.