My Dog Ate Ink

When a dog gets an opportunity, he can mess up the house. Have you ever walked into your house, and all you see are ink stains all over? Well, what might worry you more is the mess that you have to clean up. You won’t even have time to think about your dog and the ink he has ingested.

Maybe it is time you gave this a thought? Ask yourself if the ink is toxic or not? What about those pieces of plastics and glasses from the pen he has chewed? Can they cause any harm? You see, there are many more serious things to think about in this whole mess apart from the mess. Learn more about ink eating and dogs in this post.

Is Ink Toxic?

If you are worried that ink may be toxic, then you shouldn’t. Most writing inks contain non-toxic solvents, pigments, dyes, and water. So, most pen inks are not poisonous. However, it would help if you didn’t allow your dog to consume ink simply because it is non-toxic. You should keep any item with ink out of his reach. Why is this so? As much as most ink pens may not be poisonous, we have some types of ink with ethanol. If your dog happens to ingest such ink, it can be disastrous.

Can Ingesting Ink Harm a Dog?

Ink alone, unless consumed in large quantities, cannot cause serious problems. However, if your dog happens to also swallow pieces from a pen, there will be health problems. Pens are either plastic or glass. If chewed, the pieces can damage the gastrointestinal tract. 

If the pieces are small and blunt, they can pass out easily without any issue. However, if they are a bit big and sharp, they can cause damage to the GI tract. So, if you notice some traces of blood, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or blood in the poop, you should contact your vet.

Signs That Your Dog Has Eaten Ink

Though ink may not be toxic, it can still cause some health issues. Note that there are certain inks that contain ethanol. This substance has some amount of poison in it. So, when a dog consumes ink with ethanol, you will notice signs like vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, mouth irritation, and lethargy. However, according to experts, your dog will have consumed a lot of this ink in order to experience these signs. The ink from a single pen cannot make your pet develop severe health problems.

Also, if a dog happens to ingest ink with some pieces of plastics, you will notice additional symptoms. He will develop a lack of appetite, breathing difficulties, seizures, and coma. Note that these are signs that your dog has consumed plastic and is experiencing a gastrointestinal blockage. 

When Should You Be Concerned?

Ink is not toxic, and unless the dog ingests in large amounts, it cannot cause any harm. However, this does not mean that you shouldn’t be concerned. When a dog eats ink, he may have also chewed the pen, which is mostly plastic. So, there are high chances that it has also ingested some pieces of plastics.

Plastics are dangerous and, therefore, can cause critical health problems if you don’t act fast. Vet experts say that ingestion of plastics can cause health problems like gastrointestinal blockage and bowel obstruction. It is the reason why you need to treat the ingestion of plastic as something highly hazardous for a dog.

So, if your dog eats ink, you need to watch him closely. If you notice something unusual like health-related symptoms, take him to a vet. Let him diagnose him and administer the right treatment that will help flash out the poison and remove the pieces of plastics from the system.

What You Should Do After Your Dog Ingests Ink

The good thing with ink poisoning is that if you act immediately, it is something you can treat fast and easily. So, if your dog ingests ink, you should visit your nearest veterinarian. Remember, time is essential when it comes to any type of poisoning. If you begin treatment in a good time, there are high chances of saving your pet’s life.

If the vet is able to induce vomiting in time, it will help flash out the ink from your pet’s system. The vet might also use activated charcoal during the treatment. It helps to prevent toxins absorption in the dog’s intestines. 

Conclusion

Generally, the procedure of flashing out the poison from the dog’s system is crucial and requires that you act fast. Any delay can cause serious problems. Note that quick recovery goes hand in hand with early treatment. So, if you love your pet, you should do the necessary to save his life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.