My Dog Ate Paint

Are you an artist or a painter? If not, you may have renovated your house recently and freshly painted it. Like other pets, dogs are a curious lot. The dog might wander off into your storeroom or the newly painted room. As such, he may come into contact with the paint and eat it. At the same time, he may inhale its fumes.

Does this pose any harm to your canine? It is crucial to know whether paints are poisonous. It is also vital to identify the type of paint ingested. What is the initial step that one should take to help the dog? These are some critical areas that need clarification. Even so, let’s find out more.

Is Paint Toxic to Dogs?

One might have artistic or house paint. Both are equally dangerous to your dog. The severity of toxicity varies depending on the nature of the color eaten. They could either be water-based, oil, or solvent-based. If the shade eaten by the dog was from an old structure, it might contain lead, which is highly toxic.

Since paints are of different types, they contain varying ingredients. The dangers they pose relates directly to these ingredients. Let’s find out the effects of the specific paints.

Water vs. Oil-Based Paints

Water-based paints are not poisonous. They may only irritate the canine’s mucosal membranes. However, if taken in large amounts, it may make the dog nauseous or provoke vomiting.

On the other hand, oily paints are quite dangerous. The dog can inhale them into the lungs. Its solvents can also have emetic effects. The most life-threatening worry with such colors is that they may cause difficulty in breathing, inflamed lungs, or aspiration pneumonia. The oil might function as an emollient in the intestines, thus resulting in diarrhea.

The other concern with oily paints is the addition of heavy metals like lead and cobalt. These are highly helpful with pigmentation. Lead affects the metabolic path and obstructs the regular maturing of red blood cells. Long-lasting exposure causes toxicity, which can also happen with an acute intake of sufficient amounts.

Latex vs. Non-Lead Paints

In most situations, experts regard latex paints as non-poisonous. However, the type of glycol and its strength becomes a primary concern if ingested in large amounts. Conditions like respiratory depression and high acidic levels in the body may result. Moreover, your dog might have crystals in his urine. If left untreated, the dog might have permanent kidney failure.

Paints lacking lead are safer since they only cause mild stomach upset. With exposure to an inconsiderable amount, one has no significant concern. However, some might have low quantities of glycol, together with ethylene glycol. The latter composite is an antifreeze component that is highly hazardous to dogs if taken in condensed form.

What Level of Paint Is Lethal to Dogs?

One can never tell conclusively the volume of paint that may be lethal to a dog. There are different variables to consider. Matters like the dog’s stature and mass and the ingredients therein are vital in determining the toxicity aspect. While a small quantity of light color may not result in significant effects, if the one taken has lead, there’s cause for worry.

However, if you are suspicious that your dog has consumed paint, you can call your vet. Contacting the poison helpline can also be productive. Through either of these avenues, you can get specific instructions on how to help your dog.

Signs and Treatment of Paint Harmfulness

You can watch out for signs like vomiting, stupor, diarrhea, staggering walk, breathing problems, and tremors in the event of paint poisonousness. You will most likely see these symptoms a few hours after the exposure.

Once you visit your vet, he will assess for signs of contact with the paint. He will see these in the dog’s fur or paws. If there’s diarrhea, he can make a presumptive diagnosis. There is no specific antidote for paint poisoning. If the dog got exposed to heavy metals like lead, chelating agents would remove the metal from the dog’s body. In the sporadic instance where ethylene glycol is a worry, there is a particular remedy. However, an immediate cure is vital.

When treating such cases, you ought to avoid inducing the dog to vomit. You might expose the dog to other dangers. Instead, you can offer the canine some water to drink.

If the dog has paint on his skin, you can use a mild soap to wash it off. You can also clip the affected areas carefully, without injuring the dog. However, use no other solvent to clean the dog without checking with your vet.

Final Thoughts

It is crucial to store paints far from your furry friend. If by accident he gets endangered by eating paint, consult your vet. You must know the exact type of paint consumed for relevant instructions during the call. Different pints have varying effects depending on your dog’s size and weight. With the right treatment given, your dog is likely to recover.

1 thought on “My Dog Ate Paint

  1. Kristina Greenwell

    I am so happy to say that my dog is FINALLY fully trained! I found out about this online dog training tool at TrainDogsOnline.org – it has been such a wonderful help in learning how to train my dog without ever leaving home. I learned so many great ways to teach my dog nearly every trick imaginable. Also, I can finally correct common behavioral issues, anywhere from potty-training to barking too much. It’s an actual man who’s a real dog trainer training his dog. He’s an expert so you can see his mannerisms and changes in his tone of voice… especially his body language. My dog behaves PERFECTLY now and picked up on these methods so fast. From what I understand, this will work on all dogs regardless of breed or age. Best of luck to you and your dog! Check out TrainDogsOnline.org – highly recommended!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.