My Dog Came in From Outside Foaming at the Mouth

Foaming at the mouth or frothy saliva is the reaction between excess saliva mixes with the air. This condition happens to dogs due to reasons like overexertion, contact with toads, and poisonous plants. 

Sometimes frothy saliva occurs when your puppy is excited and playful. However, it can also be an indication of a deeper issue.

Overexertion

Heavy panting is one of the reasons your dog foams at the mouth.  Your dog may experience overexertion due to exercising heavily or playing for longer hours. 

Your dog takes in oxygen more rapidly when panting heavily. This action causes your puppy to drool excessively, which in turn foams at the mouth. The more your dog expends energy, the more saliva and foaming at the mouth. 

Symptoms of Overexertion

Although exercise and play are a critical part of your canine’s overall health, overdoing these routines can be detrimental. Signs that your pet has over exercised include frothy saliva, excessive panting, drooling, and decreased stamina.

Toad Toxicity

Dogs love to explore and chase moving objects. Toads and other small animals can be easy targets for your dog to hunt and subdue. However, a trapped toad releases smelly toxins through the skin. Toad toxicity occurs when your dog comes into contact with these toxins.  

The toxic substances get absorbed through the mouth, eyes, gastrointestinal tract, and open wounds. Within a few minutes of ingestion, your dog experiences foaming at the mouth. Sometimes, it may lead to other life-threatening issues like seizures.

How Can You Tell if Your Dog Has Toad Toxicity?

Toads are mostly active during the summer months and are likely to be encountered at dawn, dusk, and nighttime. If your dog has frothy saliva during this period, you may suspect toad poisoning. Some other indications include decreased heart rate, increased salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Plant Toxicity

Dogs are playful and will often run to the hedge or bush to explore or fetch something. When outside for a walk or exercise, your dog is bound to snuffle and scarf up leaves and objects that are not food. A large variety of plants contain substances that are harmful to pets. Therefore, if your dog uproots and chews these toxic plants, your fur friend can drool and foam at the mouth. Some of the poisonous plants include the oleander, American holly, chrysanthemum, and milkweed.

What Signs Show That Your Dog Has Plant Poisoning

After ingesting a plant that contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, your dog is likely to develop a high fever or may start to vomit. More so, these substances can also irritate your puppy’s mouth and lips and cause excessive salivation.

When to Worry 

Outdoor exercises and walks help promote your rover’s health. However, your dog may come in contact with toxins that get absorbed rapidly in the bloodstream. These poisons can attack your dog’s vital organs like the heart and spine within minutes resulting in seizures or shortness of breath.

It is worrisome if your dog loses balance or collapses and stops breathing.  Seek expert help immediately if your dog experiences any of these symptoms after coming in from outside.  More so, it is wise to narrate to your vet the circumstances or events that lead to your fur friend’s problem.

How to Deal with Your Dog’s Frothy Saliva

Before you seek veterinary care, you should flush your puppy’s mouth with running water. Most importantly, your rover’s head should be pointed downwards during this process to avoid swallowing the water. The water should flow out of your fido’s mouth without constraint to prevent drowning.

However, foaming at the mouth during playtime is not always a toxicity issue. Sometimes your dog’s frothy saliva is not an indication of toad or plant poisoning. It may be that your dog is excited or has been playing hard. Therefore, you need to get your dog to slow down or rest in a cool place.

Conclusion

Most dogs who have a developed routine that includes the outdoors always look forward to playing outside. The curiosity and playful nature of canines can cause your dog to snuffle and taste almost anything. While some of what your rover digs up is harmless, others are toxic and dangerous to most pets. 

Playing and catching toads can cause your fur friend to foam at the mouth and could also develop more severe problems. Furthermore, over-exercising and playing for long hours can cause excessive drooling, which leads to foaming. Sometimes the frothy saliva is not a cause for concern and will stop once your dog cools down.