My Dog Hates Peanut Butter

Most dogs seem to have a taste for almost anything. That is why it may surprise you if your dog hates peanut butter. Even so, your four-legged friend should not consume peanut butter regularly.  

Human food is not always the best feed for pets. Some aspects of your food can prove to be toxic to your fur friend. Peanut butter, for instance, has a sugar substitute known as xylitol. While this ingredient is good for humans, it is toxic to dogs.

Why Does Your Dog Hate Peanut Butter?

Even for humans, eating a spoonful of peanut butter can stick to the roof of your mouth. It also happens to your dog, and this stickiness irritates your dog. More so, peanut butter takes time to move down your puppy’s throat and is not easily digestible. These discomforts can cause your dog to develop an aversion to peanut butter.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy for Your Dog?

There are a variety of peanut butter treats that are formulated by professional animal nutritionists. These are good to be used occasionally as rewards for your dog. Even so, always remember that peanut butter cannot substitute your dog’s meal. 

The best way to have your dog enjoy peanut butter treats is to buy one without xylitol.  This delicious spread is loaded with nutrients that can improve your dog’s health. Even so, you may need to consult an animal nutritionist before you include peanut butter in your dog’s diet.

Peanut Butter Provides Additional Nutrition for Your Dog

Protein – Your dog can experience nutritional associated issues if not fed on adequate proteins. However, you can improve your puppy’s diet by adding a small amount of peanut butter to it.

Vitamins – Vitamin E aids in the development of your puppy’s healthy muscles and helps heal injuries. It is also beneficial for your dog’s blood circulatory system. Vitamin B is another vital nutrient that is said to help puppies repel fleas and tick.

Most importantly, you need to watch your dog’s behavior and observe the potty movement. Even so, remember that feeding your pooch on peanut butter also requires that you give lots of water to drink. 

When to Stop Giving Peanut Butter to Your Dog

Discontinue feeding your dog on peanut butter if you notice a change in behavior or bowel movements. All treats, including peanut butter, should be given to your dog in moderation. It is good practice to monitor your dog’s digestive tract whenever you introduce a new treat. In some cases, chunky peanut butter can cause intestinal disorder or diarrhea in dogs.

Sometimes, the results can be fatal if you accidentally feed your dog on peanut butter that contains xylitol. Your pooch can experience serious medical conditions and could even die.

Signs and Symptoms That Your Dog Ate Xylitol

The xylitol in peanut butter is what makes it toxic to dogs.  A high amount of xylitol can cause your puppy to experience a sudden blood sugar dropdown. This situation can cause liver failure and, eventually, the untimely death of your puppy. Other signs include seizures, vomiting, and panting.


Toxins can also cause seizures in dogs. After ingesting xylitol, your rover may suddenly collapse and lose consciousness. You may notice excessive drooling or foaming at the mouth. A dog with a seizure can either stiffen or make paddling movements with his legs. 


It is common for dogs to vomit after eating a non-food item or some disagreeable food. Vomiting in canines can also indicate that your pooch has ingested a toxic substance. It is good practice to inspect your dog’s vomit before you contact your vet.


Sometimes, excitement and excess heat can make dogs pant. Heavy wheezing, however, is an indication of a more serious health problem. It can happen when your dog is experiencing trauma from ingesting toxins.

When to Worry

It is worrisome if your dog shows abnormal signs after ingesting peanut butter that contains xylitol.  You need to contact your veterinarian when you notice that your dog has an increased heart rate. It is an emergency when your dog has a seizure and is unable to stand.  You need to seek help immediately, or your pooch may go into a coma.


Most importantly, you need to realize the xylitol in peanut butter that is toxic to your dog. You rover can still eat some peanut butter that doesn’t contain this poisonous substance. However, always remember that your puppy requires a healthy dog diet. This is why peanut butter can only be considered a treat and not a meal for your fur friend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.