My Dog Swallowed a Penny

How about the fact that your dog is the reason why you have been penniless lately? Now that’s a funny thought, but it’s also painfully real. People who live with the future always on their mind like to save up. It is a good thing to save up for yourself or keep money somewhere safe for your child. However, it should not end at that. Where you keep the pennies that remain after shopping is critical.

Many parents who do not understand this principle have to stop the penny from choking their little ones. If you are in the same boat, you’ll have to deal with taking your dog to the vet every day. Now that will leave you even more cashless. So it will pay if you exercise a lot of caution if you have children and pets like dogs in your house.

In this article, we talk about a situation where your dog accidentally eats one of your pennies. Since that puts your dog in a lot of danger, you probably have a lot of questions. Lucky for you, we are here to give you answers.

If you are probably reading to get prepared for the unknown, you may want to take notes. And, if you are in this situation, we intend to give you answers and solutions. Let’s get this talk going.

First Things First

Dogs are fond of eating whatever they come across. And that can be dangerous since they are not too wise concerning choosing what is rightfully theirs and what’s not. This case is one of the very many incidents. Since your dog’s life is at stake, call your vet right now. And if you do not know any vet around, search for veterinary services near you. That will save you time and probably your dog’s life.

Should You Be Worried?

It is natural for you to be worried about your dog or child when something terrible happens. However, sometimes we fret over insignificant things. But in some cases, like the one you are in, you are right to be worried. Why should you be concerned?

The first cause of worry is the size of the penny. That is not necessarily because the penny is enormous. But because your dog’s throat may not be able to let it pass. The good news is that it’s not common in dogs. It depends on your dog’s size, since the smaller the dog, the smaller the size of the throat.

The second cause of worry is the penny itself. Did you know that when the penny reaches the belly, it can trigger a war? We are going to discuss this subject in the segments that follow. Read on.

Class Time: History Class

Before we get to what happens when your dog eats a penny, let’s learn some little history. That will help you understand why pennies are more dangerous now than before. Here we go.

We have two time periods to look at when it comes to the history of pennies. The first period is before 1982; that is the period when pennies were 100% copper. In the natural world, copper is not toxic when ingested. So we have no problem so far.

The second period is the post-1982. In the year 1982, the US government affected a change in penny making. The pennies produced were of a cheaper mineral called zinc. The government, however, did not do away with the copper. It still uses it to date in coating the penny. End of history class!

What Happens When Your Dog Ingests a Penny

From the history class, you are now aware that the penny consists of zinc minerals. In contrast with copper, zinc is toxic. That means that when the penny lands on your dog’s stomach, a chemical reaction takes place.

Since the stomach is naturally acidic, the acid will begin to eat up the penny. Once that takes place, the zinc enters the bloodstream. That is dangerous since zinc, being toxic, will expose your dog to complications.

Symptoms Of Zinc Poisoning in Your Dog

When zinc is present in the canine’s bloodstream, there are symptoms that he will manifest. The symptoms include blood in his urine, depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy. It may take a few hours for the symptoms to show. And if they don’t, the symptoms may appear after a few days. So that means that you should take some action as soon as possible.

Seek Professional Help Immediately

It is essential to take your dog to the animal hospital. Please do not wait to see the symptoms. Neither should you wait for the penny to pass out since it may never happen. By the time the penny comes out, it shall have damaged the liver beyond repair. The result of total liver damage is death.

Let’s Recapitulate

Where you keep your pennies is critical since dogs are explorers. They will dig for anything, anywhere. Pennies consist of large amounts of zinc. And zinc is dangerous for your dog consumption. It can lead to liver damage if you do not address the matter immediately. That is why you need to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Do not wait to see the symptoms.